TuneMyToyota.com  

Home Forum vBGarage Register Donate Members List Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TuneMyToyota.com forums.

We are a group of Toyota enthusiasts coming together to share our ideas with each other. But, YOU are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST, which gives you limited access to view the forums and features. Meaning your missing out on the good stuff!! By joining our free community you will have access to ALL of the forums, topics, polls, uploaded content, the DIY section and more!! Registration takes only seconds, is very simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   TuneMyToyota.com > Even More Toyotas > Supra

Supra Toyota Supra, and Supra Celica. All Gen.

Toyota JZ Engine
Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
blackpearl
2013 FRS-86

My Car: 2013 Scion FRS, 2013 Toyota Venza
Boost: n/a
blackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 4 Months 3 Weeks 1 Day 20 Hours 58 Minutes 53 Seconds
Default Toyota JZ Engine

Toyota JZ engines come both turbo and naturally aspirated and in two displacement variations - a 2.5L and 3.0L inline-6 cylinder configuration. Known for being the heart of the Toyota Supra, the JZ engine powers all of Toyota’s sports cars and has a wide variety of aftermarket upgrades. The JZ engine replaced Toyota’s M-series inline-6 engine and continues to be a favorite of import tuners. The Toyota 2JZ-GTE engine is seen as the rival to Nissan’s legendary RB26DETT, as both stock engine blocks can handle up to 1000 horsepower (745 kW).

1JZ

1997 Toyota Cresta 1JZ GTE Motor

The naturally aspirated 2.5 liter engine is known as the 1JZ-GE and produces 200 horsepower (147 kW) at 6000 rpm and 185 ft. lbs of torque (250 Nm) at 4000 rpm. The turbocharged 1JZ-GTE engine uses two CT12A turbos and a side-mounted air-to-air intercooler to produce 280 horsepower (206kW) at 6200 rpm and 267 ft lbs of torque (363 Nm) at 4800 rpm.

Around 1996, Toyota released a reworked 1JZ-GTE engine that featured a single CT15B turbo design. The new engine had a new head incorporating Toyota’s continuously variable valve timing mechanism (VVT-i), modified water jackets for improved cooling, newly developed shims with titanium nitride coating for reduced cam friction, and increased compression ratio from 8.5:1 to 9.0:1. Officially, horsepower remained the same at 280 hp, but torque was increased to 279 ft lbs (379 Nm) from the original 267 ft lbs (363 Nm) at 2400 rpm.

Applications 1JZ-GTE:
Toyota Chaser/Cresta/Mark II Tourer V (JZX81, JZX90, JZX100, JZX110)
Toyota Soarer (JZZ30)
Toyota Supra MK III (chassis code JZA70, Japan only)
Toyota Verossa
Toyota Crown (JZS170)

2JZ

Toyota 2JZ Engines

The 3.0L 2JZ engine was first released in the 1992 Lexus SC 300. Horsepower for the naturally aspirated 2JZ-GE ranges from 215 to 230 hp (158 to 169 kW) at 5800 to 6000 rpm and 209 to 220 ft lbs of torque (283 to 298 Nm) at 3800 to 4800 rpm. Two CT12B turbochargers raise the power of the 2JZ-GTE engine to the former Japanese industry maximum of 280 horsepower (206 kW) at 5600 rpm and 332 ft lbs of torque (451 Nm) at 3600 rpm.

A German engineering firm, Johann A. Krause Maschinenfabrik GmbH, originally designed the 2JZ-GTE for the Toyota Aristo. Toyota’s goal was to meet production car homogolation requirements for the former All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship.

North American and European automotive markets received a more powerful 310 horsepower (229 kW) at 5600 rpm 2JZ-GTE engine. The power gain is due to a different stainless steel turbo shaft instead of the ceramic Japanese shaft, improved camshafts, and larger injectors at 550 cc/min instead of 440 cc/min. Since the primary mechanical difference between the exported CT12B turbocharger and Japan’s CT20A is the easily replaced turbo shaft, you can replace the Japanese-spec ceramic shaft with the steel shaft from CT12B turbo.

Applications 2JZ-GE:
Toyota Altezza / Lexus IS 300
Toyota Aristo / Lexus GS 300
Toyota Crown/Toyota Crown Majesta
Toyota Mark II
Toyota Chaser
Toyota Cresta
Toyota Progres
Toyota Soarer / Lexus SC 300
Toyota Supra MK IV

Applications 2JZ-GTE:
Toyota Aristo JZS147 (Japan-only)
Toyota Aristo V300 JZS161 (Japan-only)
Toyota Supra RZ/Turbo JZA80

1.5JZ

1991 Toyota Supra 1.5JZ-GTE

The 1.5JZ is not a production engine and is created by combining a 1JZ head with a 2JZ engine block. The 1JZ cylinder head will bolt directly onto the 2JZ block and allows for an additional 500cc of displacement.

1JZ = 2.5L Inline 6 (86.0mm bore x 71.5mm stroke)
2JZ = 3.0L Inline 6 (86.0mm bore x 86.0mm stroke)
Using a 2JZ bottom end with the 1JZ components allows an extra 500cc of displacement.

Reasons for this conversion is a matter of opinion and discussion. The 1jz has a larger Exhaust valve at 30MM yet a smaller intake valve of only 31mm whist the 2jz has a 33.6mm Intake valve and a 29mm exhaust valve. The debate is, that it was easier to go 1.5JZ instead of 2jz due to electronics, and configurations for pre existing manifolds etc.

What is known is that the 2JZ head compared to the 1JZ head has more restriction in the 5th and 6th cylinder exhaust ports due to an S shaped casting. The 1JZ also has different shaped combustion chambers which, when directly placed on a 2JZ block, increases the compression slightly and leads to a power increase when using unworked heads. Once worked (ported and chambers reshaped, valves resized) the heads have been proven to flow much the same.

The most likely reason for the setup would be if the owner of a worked 1JZ engine suffered from bottom end failure or if they wanted the extra displacement and torque of the 2JZ bottom end, as the heads are interchangeable. Thus all the existing manifold, plumbing, fittings, turbo(s) could be retained making for a very cost effective power and torque upgrade.

Direct Injection FSEs
1JZ-FSE / 2JZ-FSE

In around 2000, Toyota introduced what are probably the least recognised members of the JZ engine family – the FSE direct injection variants. These FSE 1JZ and 2JZ engines are aimed at achieving minimal emissions and fuel consumption together with no loss of performance.

The 2.5-litre 1JZ-FSE employs the same block as the conventional 1JZ-GE; everything up top, however, is unique. The ‘D4’ FSE employs a relatively narrow angle cylinder head with swirl control valves that serve to improve combustion efficiency. This is necessary to run at extremely lean air-fuel ratios around 20 to 40:1 at certain engine load and revs. Not surprisingly, fuel consumption is reduced by around 20 percent (when tested in the Japanese 10/15 urban mode).

Interestingly, normal unleaded fuel is enough to cope with the FSE’s 11:1 compression ratio.

The direct injection version of the 1JZ generates 147 kW (197HP) and 250Nm (184ft lbs) – virtually the same as the conventional VVT-i 1JZ-GE. This highly efficient engine is fitted to the 2000 Mark II, 2001 Brevis, Progres, Verossa, Crown and Crown Estate. All are fitted with an automatic transmission.

The 3-litre 2JZ-FSE uses the same direct injection principle as the smaller 1JZ version but runs an even higher 11.3:1 compression ratio. This engine matches the conventional VVT-i 2JZ-GE with 162 kW (217HP) and 294Nm (216ft lbs). The 2JZ-FSE is fitted to certain 1999 Crown models and the 2001 Brevis and Progres. Again, all use automatic transmissions.

Engine Swaps 2Jz

Toyota 1JZ/2JZ

The 2JZ-GTE is one of the most badass engines to ever come out of Japan. After Nissan released the Skyline with the RB26DETT, Toyota answered back with their own twin turbo inline-six, but in a larger 3.0L. If you can't afford a 2JZ-GTE you can also look into the older smaller brother, the 1JZ-GTE, which is still a turbo inline-six, but only a 2.5L engine.

Although only the Supra was given the turbo version, even the cheaper naturally-aspirated JZ engines from cars like the Lexus SC and IS have serious potential. Their cylinder blocks are known to handle double digit pounds of boost. Having over 700whp on a JZ engine is no surprise to anyone.

Mate one with the optional Getrag six-speed transmission and have yourself the ultimate Toyota setup. This beats the RB swap mainly due to how many more cars can take the swap.

Specs: 6-cylinder 2.5 to 3.0L, DOHC NA or Turbo, VVT-i
Power: 200 to 276 hp
Engine Cost: $1000 to $6000
Originally With: Toyota Supra (93-9, Lexus SC300, Lexus GS300
Easy-Fit Cars: Toyota Supra (82-92), Toyota Cressida (85-92)
Custom-Fit Cars: Datsun Z, BMW 3-series and Z3, Mazda RX-7, Honda S2000, Nissan 240SX, Toyota Celica (RWD), Toyota Corolla (RWD), Toyota Pickup

Posted on April 19th, 2008 by Tom

Last edited by blackpearl; 05-17-2013 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: add

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
bsmk3
3 7m's and counting

My Car: 89 supra (never ending project)
Boost: turbocharged
bsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 1 Month 6 Days 15 Hours 31 Minutes 27 Seconds
Send a message via AIM to bsmk3

Mmm jz's lol

I really want to get a 2jz and build it

my build thread!
7mgte swap/one off FFIM/T4 turbo mani/ 3" custom down pipe/3" straight pipe inis the works/HKS MHG/ARP head studs/ ARP main bolts/ forged pistons & shot peened rods/ 3" intake/K&N air filter/BLITZ BOV/ACT 6 puck UNsprung clutch & HD PP/3" drop springs/KYB struts/cusco strut supports/custom short shifter/corbeau seat/4 point harnesses/greddy profec A boost controller/ MK4 16/9.5 rims

Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
zby67
トヨタ スープラ

My Car: 2015 Ford Fiesta, 1987 Toyota Supra
zby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 1 Month 4 Days 3 Hours 27 Minutes 14 Seconds
Send a message via Yahoo to zby67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmk3 View Post
Mmm jz's lol

I really want to get a 2jz and build it
then eat it all night long till the cops show up lol!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Tercel5efe93
needs a Kiltlfter

My Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE
Tercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond reputeTercel5efe93 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 1 Month 2 Weeks 3 Days 2 Hours 35 Minutes 5 Seconds
Send a message via AIM to Tercel5efe93 Send a message via Yahoo to Tercel5efe93

Nice motors but waaay to much chrome for me

Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
bsmk3
3 7m's and counting

bsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond reputebsmk3 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

I'm with you tob.. I want a white block/head and everything that bolts on to be flat black... Turbo mani, front face intake all IC piping, turbo, DP lol fucking everything...

iv been reading and I'm liking the 1.5jz...
Iv also been thinking about how a built 2jz-ge and a rolla GT-S would do on the track, I'm thinking a fast and high revving all motor beast!
Just ideas for now haha I'm just trying to get one project done haha

my build thread!
7mgte swap/one off FFIM/T4 turbo mani/ 3" custom down pipe/3" straight pipe inis the works/HKS MHG/ARP head studs/ ARP main bolts/ forged pistons & shot peened rods/ 3" intake/K&N air filter/BLITZ BOV/ACT 6 puck UNsprung clutch & HD PP/3" drop springs/KYB struts/cusco strut supports/custom short shifter/corbeau seat/4 point harnesses/greddy profec A boost controller/ MK4 16/9.5 rims

Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
zby67
トヨタ スープラ

My Car: 2015 Ford Fiesta, 1987 Toyota Supra
zby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond reputezby67 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 1 Month 4 Days 3 Hours 27 Minutes 14 Seconds
Send a message via Yahoo to zby67

Quote:
I'm with you tob.. I want a white block/head and everything that bolts on to be flat black... Turbo mani, front face intake all IC piping, turbo, DP lol fucking everything...

Iv also been thinking about how a built 2jz-ge and a rolla GT-S would do on the track, I'm thinking a fast and high revving all motor beast!
a white block huh... not my cup of tea wait till you all see what i have up my sleeve for the GE im building muhahhahahaha no hints will be revealed when she is finished! also yeah to much chrome. as for me im just polishing anything that can be seen but it wont be over whelming like that.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
trd_seo
The "Do it Right" Guy

My Car: 92 Paseo 92 MR2
trd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond reputetrd_seo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 1 Week 3 Days 11 Hours 56 Minutes 13 Seconds

Quote:

1.5jz has no benefits. Its just to say that you have it. Your putting on a head with less aftermarket support for cams, intake mani, exhaust mani as those are not interchangeable from 1jz/2jz. Plus the 2jz head flows better than the 1jz.

I mean you would have to buy a 2jzgte, then take the head off and replace it with an older, less engineered 1jz head, then geta 1jzgte manifolds as your 2jzgte manifolds would be useless. It seems backwards.

Price wise it will be more than just throwing in the 2jzgte and I think that motor is pretty good, no?

EDIT: Do you mean putting a 2jz head on a 1jz bottom. That would give you more aftermarket support for the head but you would lose 500cc of displacement which is pretty huge since toyota seems to think it was necessary to have that extra 500cc of diplacement making the 2jz the god of motors instead of the 1jz. Either way I think when you look at it price wise its just easier and cheaper to just buy the complete 2jzgte for $1800 shipped.

Paseo 5efte wip RIP

Last edited by trd_seo; 11-11-2010 at 06:27 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
bsmk3
3 7m's and counting

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd_seo View Post
1.5jz has no benefits. Its just to say that you have it. Your putting on a head with less aftermarket support for cams, intake mani, exhaust mani as those are not interchangeable from 1jz/2jz. Plus the 2jz head flows better than the 1jz.

I mean you would have to buy a 2jzgte, then take the head off and replace it with an older, less engineered 1jz head, then geta 1jzgte manifolds as your 2jzgte manifolds would be useless. It seems backwards.

Price wise it will be more than just throwing in the 2jzgte and I think that motor is pretty good, no?

EDIT: Do you mean putting a 2jz head on a 1jz bottom. That would give you more aftermarket support for the head but you would lose 500cc of displacement which is pretty huge since toyota seems to think it was necessary to have that extra 500cc of diplacement making the 2jz the god of motors instead of the 1jz. Either way I think when you look at it price wise its just easier and cheaper to just buy the complete 2jzgte for $1800 shipped.

im not really sure what id do if i had the money to get either lol
im really a die hard 7m guy.... if i ever had that much money at once its because i won it, i bu something ever chance i have money... or ill save for a few weeks and get something... i cant help it haha.... i have big plans for my motor. and big numbers. read thru my build thread lol i think its in there.. if i start ripping the 88 apart befor someone buys it, im either building up the ge motor that i have or im getting a 1jz off one of the guys on here and building that with a big single. and the cars gunna be a full race car. full cage, the works. it will be a trailer queen for sure.

my build thread!

Last edited by bsmk3; 11-13-2010 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: fucked it up

Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Mashnoon1234
Just Got Here

My Car: Mark II Grande
Mashnoon1234 is on a distinguished road
Time Spent Online: 1 Hour 14 Minutes 20 Seconds

Hey, i want to do an engine swap from 1G-FE to 1JZ-GTE. My car is a 1996 Toyota Mark II Grande, stock. Will the JZ go with the chasis of my car? If yes, Please tell me the things i need for this conversion.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
clutch
New Tuner

My Car: JZA70 Aero Supra Black
Boost: twin-charged
clutch has a spectacular aura aboutclutch has a spectacular aura aboutclutch has a spectacular aura about
Time Spent Online: 12 Hours 5 Minutes 27 Seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashnoon1234 View Post
Hey, i want to do an engine swap from 1G-FE to 1JZ-GTE. My car is a 1996 Toyota Mark II Grande, stock. Will the JZ go with the chasis of my car? If yes, Please tell me the things i need for this conversion.

If not mistaken the jz engine was an option in your car for the japanese market. But that would require a little bit of research.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
vanion2
Almost Lives Here

My Car: 93 MR2 2.2L
vanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 3 Days 2 Hours 17 Seconds

Or get a hold of RHD_TT.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Mashnoon1234
Just Got Here

Last edited by Mashnoon1234; 04-22-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Mashnoon1234
Just Got Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If not mistaken the jz engine was an option in your car for the japanese market. But that would require a little bit of research.
I heard the JZ only fitted into the chasis of the tourer V. Mine's a Grande. I also heard the jz fits into all the mark ii versions including the tourer v and the grande. Now i am stuck in the middle of these two info.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
vanion2
Almost Lives Here

My Car: 93 MR2 2.2L
vanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 3 Days 2 Hours 17 Seconds

Send RHD_TT a PM. He actually works for Toyota as an engineer as well as builds some serious cars as well. If he doesn't know the answer then I don't know what to say. It may take him some time to respond though. He's a busy guy.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
bsmk3
3 7m's and counting

Awards Showcase

you can put ANY motor in ANY car with the right amount of money and know how. weather its worth it or not is entirely up to you

my build thread!