TuneMyToyota.com  

Home Forum vBGarage Register Donate Members List Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TuneMyToyota.com forums.

We are a group of Toyota enthusiasts coming together to share our ideas with each other. But, YOU are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST, which gives you limited access to view the forums and features. Meaning your missing out on the good stuff!! By joining our free community you will have access to ALL of the forums, topics, polls, uploaded content, the DIY section and more!! Registration takes only seconds, is very simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   TuneMyToyota.com > Corolla/Matrix > Corolla > 9th Gen Corolla

9th Gen Corolla 2003-2008

belt tensioner and idler pulley??? help!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Hiram
Semi New Tuner

My Car: Toyota Corolla le 2007
Boost: n/a
Hiram will become famous soon enoughHiram will become famous soon enough
Time Spent Online: 3 Days 15 Hours 56 Minutes 13 Seconds
Default belt tensioner and idler pulley??? help!!!!!!

Hello,

My 2007 corolla start to have a very bad sound coming from the pulleys. I took it to several mechanics to find out what the real problem is. and they all used that sound doctor like tool to hear where the sound was coming. and there was confusion with the idler pulley and the waterpump because they are so close to each other .... =/. the idler pulley was the cheapest and most easy to install so i bought it and install the only difference now is it only makes that same sound when i give it gas (accelerate). And the last mechanic also mentioned that I should change the belt tensioner adpter. I gave it a look and i noticed some small shaking of that piece. It's hard to work on this area because its very reduced area, and the pieces are not cheap plus handwork. I have 46,000 miles i think its not very high milage....

So if you guys have any suggestions, or comments I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Hiram.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
vanion2
Almost Lives Here

My Car: 93 MR2 2.2L
vanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond reputevanion2 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 3 Days 4 Hours 24 Minutes 7 Seconds

Those parts usually get replaced around the 60K mile/5 year mark so you are in that neck of the woods all ready.

It shouldn't be that bad. I had my belts and pulley/tensioner changed for under $300 at a shop and this is something you don't want breaking on you or life gets much worse and the price goes way up.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Corollaczy
tMt Regular

My Car: 2000 Corolla CE
Boost: N/A
Corollaczy is a jewel in the roughCorollaczy is a jewel in the roughCorollaczy is a jewel in the roughCorollaczy is a jewel in the rough
Time Spent Online: 1 Week 4 Hours 35 Minutes 48 Seconds

As far as i know the belt tensioner assembly has some known issues of making noises and going out. What kind of noises is it making? If its ur pump u dont want it to fail and leave u stranded somewhere

Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Spyider
Toyota Tinkerer

My Car: 97 DD prizm / 93 240sx LS1.
Spyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond reputeSpyider has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 2 Days 20 Hours 10 Minutes 50 Seconds

its probably an old harder belt. my prizm squeels like its a dieing animal when i start it up in the cold.. lol

Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
invader
New Tuner

My Car: 04 Corolla CE 5spd
invader will become famous soon enoughinvader will become famous soon enough
Time Spent Online: 7 Hours 15 Minutes 45 Seconds

All you need is a new Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt # 4060740 (with A/C).

Last edited by invader; 01-29-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
sventz

My Car: toyota corolla EE90/AE92
sventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

Time Spent Online: 1 Month 1 Week 5 Days 9 Hours 13 Minutes 18 Seconds
Send a message via MSN to sventz

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
All you need is a new Goodyear Gatorback serpemtime belt # 4060740 (with A/C).
does that belt give a better grip at the pulleys than a normal one?cause i got me a new one but still sqeels for a momment when i fire my toy up in the morning and when under a lot of stress under heavy loads from my car audio...well i need me a custom belt tensioner bracket to push more of the belt on the alt pulley i guess...

Old 01-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Hiram
Semi New Tuner

My Car: Toyota Corolla le 2007
Hiram will become famous soon enoughHiram will become famous soon enough
Time Spent Online: 3 Days 15 Hours 56 Minutes 13 Seconds

hey thanks guys. I finally solved it. the sound was very hard to spot. so i ended changing many things until i finally solved the noise. and it was the alternator ;///.... first i tried to change the idler pulley and it didnt make any change on the sound, then the mechanic told me to get the belt tensioner with a new idler pulley, after that the sound didnt dissaper. so then we try changing the water pump and still wasnt the one making the noise ;// until the last try the alternator. this all cost me dearly $500 I know that mostly was maintenance but im still very pissed...

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
invader
New Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventz View Post
does that belt give a better grip at the pulleys than a normal one?cause i got me a new one but still sqeels for a momment when i fire my toy up in the morning and when under a lot of stress under heavy loads from my car audio...well i need me a custom belt tensioner bracket to push more of the belt on the alt pulley i guess...
You got a new belt from Toyota just like the original one? They do tend to squeal before long, as on my friend's 2005 at about 60K. He thought his alternator was shot, until I replaced his belt with a Gatorback 4060740. It barely fit on, nice and tight with tensioner completely released, compared to his original which had already hardened and stretched out. Only way to install belt was by getting it on the smooth water pump pulley down beside alternator as the last step... GoodYear's Gatorback belt is a very popular fix for that common Corolla problem. Mine is still perfectly silent and in excellent condition with about 120K miles on it. (146.5K on original alternator, water pump, power steering pump, A/C pump, etc)

Last edited by invader; 01-29-2012 at 02:44 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
sventz

sventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond reputesventz has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase

will try to find out if we got them here in Greece...if not i'm gonna have to get back to project extra belt tensioner...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
invader
New Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventz View Post
will try to find out if we got them here in Greece...if not i'm gonna have to get back to project extra belt tensioner...
Yours has a 1ZZ-FE 1.8 with A/C? What year is it?
GoodYear Gatorback # 4060740 for $62.68 USD including shipping to Greece:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,8900

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1334411

Last edited by invader; 01-29-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
sventz

Awards Showcase

mine is a 92(just before the model change) EE90/AE92 but with an engine that you never had in the US the 1.3lt 2E-E.i guess i got the same lenght belt as the 1.5lt 3E-E has...

Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
invader
New Tuner

What part number is on your belt? Do you have the Toyota part number?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
sventz

Awards Showcase

i'll have to look at that in the morning...